Review of Communication Research (RCR) is committed to open-access science. We believe that scholars and students from low-income countries, small academic institutions, and citizens not adscripted to a research institution should have access to scientific knowledge. It is of particular interest that literature reviews be open to read as these articles offer an overview of the state of knowledge about a topic at a specific moment in time.
RCR has to cover fixed costs to keep our articles open access. For example, we need to pay collaborators for their work in the publication process (e.g., website space rental, technical maintenance and PHP update, article production, DOI registration). Therefore, RCR invites authors to pay an optional production to keep all its content open access. The optional processing charge is currently 310 EU (Value-Added Tax, VAT, included) + 10 EU for the PayPal commission. The amount in USD is 310 + 10 for the PayPal commission. If you have department or research project funds, you are invited to pay the fair production charges. The optional production charge is payable upon acceptance of the manuscript for publication and we will explain to you how we have spent that APC. Anyway, you can benefit from the discounts listed below.
In case you can not or are unwilling to pay the optional APC, please, accept reviewing 6 manuscripts for the same section where you publish your paper. Thank you for collaborating!
Partial refund, discounts, and fee waivers
RCR is not focused on gaining money (i.e., money is a means, not an end), therefore, even if you decide to pay the production charge, we have many discounts and you can get a partial refund. Check below if you are eligible for an automatic discount:
- Ad-hoc reviewers get a 25% discount for the first published article and 50% for the second. If you have reviewed more than two manuscripts, you can ask for a 50% discount for the first published article. If you are a frequent reviewer, you can ask the editor to be part of the Editorial Board and get a 100% discount as a member of the Editorial Board.
- Open-peer reviewers get a 10% discount if at least one review is considered useful for the improvement of the paper by an RCR editor. The discount will be 15% if two or more reviews have been considered useful by an editor. In the latter case, you can ask to be invited as an ad-hoc reviewer, with its associated discounts.
- Scholars who are experienced in publishing literature reviews or meta-analyses. Scholars who have published one literature review in a Q1 or Q2 journal will get a 33% discount.
- Scholars from low-income countries get special discounts or a waiver for production charges.
- Articles with corresponding authors or first authors from the following countries get a 50% discount:
Algeria, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Botswana, Cook Islands, Dominica, Egypt, El Salvador, Fiji, Gabon, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Jamaica, Jordan, Libya, Maldives, Mauritius, Mongolia, Morocco, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Paraguay, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, West Bank and Gaza Strip.
- Section editors can give fee waivers.
- Members of the Editorial Board get a fee waiver.
- Articles with corresponding authors or first authors from the following countries get fee waiver:
Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kenya, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Papua New Guinea, Republic of Moldova, Rwanda, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tokelau, Tonga, Tunisia, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- You can ask us to transfer you back the 50% of the production charges (in which case we will pay the bank/PayPal commission) if at least 25 documents cite your paper in Scopus in the following four years. We must exclude the documents you authored from the list to avoid fostering unethical behavior. In case the number of citations of your article is close to the threshold, write to us and we will study your case!